Friday, February 14, 2020

Dynamic Drawings and Data of Decidedly Dubious Distinction!

Hey, Kids! Comics from 50 Years Ago!
February 10 & 12, 1970




















Groovy Age Splash Page of the Week
Brave and the Bold #116 (September 1974)


Groovy Age Spotlight On...
Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day, Groove-ophiles! Since today's all about hearts and flowers, Ol' Groove thought he'd share a beauty of a romance tale with ya! It's a beauty 'cause it's illustrated by the unusual team of Gene Colan and Sal Buscema! Methinks their styles went quite well together on the Stan Lee scripted "How Do We Know When It's Really Love?" from Our Love Story #4 (January 1970). Yeah, you could say the story is corny and dated in it's 1960s jet-set flick-inspired way, but that's part of it's appeal, imho. Ain't Valentine's Day kinda corny (in a sweet way) and about... dates (kinda)…? Okay, I'll shut up and let ya enjoy the purty pitchures…







7 comments:

  1. I liked Colan's art very much in this one! In the following issue of Our Love Story is art by Steranko, Colan, & John Buscema. Great work! The stories are pleasant, but predictable fare.

    Regards,

    Chris A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When true love comes, you know! You simply know!
    Who could be so cold hearted they wouldn't enjoy an ending like that? Nice one Groove, you old softie.
    Can't say I thought Gene the Dean and our pal Sal meshed as well as you appeared to, but Colan's had worse inkers, and its always going to be interesting to see an unusual combo like that anyway.
    Thanks for posting.

    -sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Sal did a great job inking Colan's pencils on this story, but I think I detected John Romita's hand in the inking, as well (particularly on page 6).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that from 1961 until 1966 that Millie the Model was Marvel's top selling comic book, ahead of Spidey and the FF. Mind boggling, eh? I guess there were a LOT of young girls reading it, and perhaps many of them fueled the romance comics sales as well. They seem to have died out by the mid to late seventies.

    Gene Poole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never in my life have I ever met anyone who ever bought an issue of Binky, but someone must have.

    Anyone here?

    - Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I like this particular splash page of Batman & the Spectre by Jim Aparo I never really warmed up to his work the way I did to Neal Adams' work. I think I prefer Aparo's earlier work on Aquaman where he was not pressured to assimilate the Adams approach at all, & the drawings had an almost Alex Toth-like sparseness to them. Aparo certainly had a long & prolific career.

    Regards,

    Chris A.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!