Monday, May 14, 2012

R.I.P. Tony DeZuniga

Just a week ago we were talking about how we could help Tony and his family after his devastating stroke. Thursday night we learned that the talented Mr. DeZuniga had left us. Our condolences to the DeZuniga family. I'm sure all the love and best wishes of comics fandom goes to those Tony left behind.

Ol' Groove would like to celebrate Tony's legacy once more. This time we'll take another look at the greatness of his inking. While DeZuniga was best known (at Marvel) for inking John Buscema on Conan and Walt Simonson on Thor, he did one issue of Marvel Team-Up over John Byrne's pencils that just blew us away. In MTU #70 (March 1978), Spider-Man teamed with the mighty Thor in "Whom Gods Destroy!", written by Chris Claremont. The story is cool, pitting Thor and Spidey against X-Men villain the Living Pharoah, and it gives Byrne and DeZuniga the opportunity to cut loose with some of the most mind-bogglingly powerful battle scenes ever!
















6 comments:

  1. Vale.
    (Nice choice of scans, btw. Tony's work on X-Men 110 was also a fine example of his work from around this period.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bummed. He was a good artist and a nice man. I'm lucky to own a few of his Silver Surfer/Doc Strange pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you,Mr DeZuniga.Rest i peace.
    A great example of Mr DeZuniga's art is "The Vow of a Samurai" in "Jonah Hex" #39 for sale in May 1980. Great cover and interior art.
    I reread it today (on this blog,post from Sunday June 20,2010).Thank you,Mr Groove.
    /Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beside's being a great artist. Tony & Tina are two of the nicest people. Even though I never had the chance to meet them in person. I did talk by phone & e-mail regularly with them both. Tony was nice enough to sign all my Man-God pages for me twice. Then Tina repacked them & mailed them back to me. This is one of my all time favorite issues of MTU! Tony's inks were superb here on Byrne's beautiful artwork. Rest in peace Tony, you'll be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry.I forgot the letter n.Of course:Rest in peace.
    /Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony DeZuniga made allot comics look good.You know your getting old allot of the people in the world with talent,that made your world pass on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!