Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bring on the Back-ups: "The Final Flower!" by Edelman and Zeck

What it is, Groove-ophiles! When Ol' Groove's yakked about his fave cosmic comics (Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel and Warlock, natch), I'm sure I must have mentioned that my fave Marvel villain is Starlin's homage to Jack Kirby's Darkseid, Thanos! If you're a fan of the Marvel Movie-verse, you probably know by now that ol' Granite-puss is going to be a major player in that newly-emerging (and highly profitable--congrats, Avengers!) celluloid playground (Why didn't Ol' Groove see that coming? Naturally, if the Cosmic Cube--excuse me The Tesseract--is around, can Thanos be far behind?). How bad, evil, and/or not nice is Thanos? This sweet back-up by writer Scott Edelman and artist Mike Zeck answers that question quite nicely. From Logan's Run #6 (March 1977), dig..."The Final Flower!"





Hey, Scott E.! If you're reading this, we gotta know--did this mini-masterpiece lead to your all-too-short (and totally far-out) tenure on Captain Marvel?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Groove, I've always wondered, the Golden Age Destroyer and Drax the Destroyer have very similar costumes. The characters are way different, but do you know if the name and costume similarities have a connection?

    Really enjoy the blog man
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mask and the skull notwithstanding, I'd never compared the two Destroyers in my mind. I'm betting Golden Age fan/editor Roy Thomas had something to do with those costume elements...

      Delete
  2. This was a surprise bonus for me when I bought the complete Logan's Run in back issues a few years ago. A nice little story by Edelman, with some early Zeck art to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't ya just love little surprises like that back in the day? :D

      Delete
  3. I asked Mike Zeck to sign this issue for me at a con in the 80s and he said "I didn't draw that!". I showed him the credits and he said, "Okay, I guess I did!". LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!