Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ol' Groove's Request Line: "Luthor--You're Driving Me Sane!" by Maggin and Novick

What it is, Groove-ophiles! Fellow Groove-ophile Tony O. e-mailed yers trooly with some rally cool requests--the first of which was a request for one of the final three issues of DC's Joker mag! Yeah, there's an If You Blinked You Missed post waiting in the wings on that one, baby, but for now, just know ye that DC gave the Harlequin of Hate his own mag--though it only ran for a scant nine issues (February 1975-June 1976). As I said: more on that later, gator! Meantime, here's "Luthor--You're Driving Me Crazy!" from Joker #7 (February 1976) in which The Batman's greatest foe has a major run-in with Superman's greatest foe, Lex Luthor, courtesy Elliot S! Maggin, Irv Novick, and Frank McLaughlin! Dig it!
Cover art by Ernie Chua (Chan)















3 comments:

  1. What it be groovster! Man I loved the Joker as a kid! I was disappointed this series ended so abruptly. Like way too many other DC & Marvel series did in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahhh Groovester!!! You warm my heart on a crappy winter day! Thank you for finding this for me. I love Joker's funky 'fro wig in the early pages. He should have had this hairstyle in the '70s. I really enjoyed this series when I was younger, and I much prefer this Joker to the current homicidal, dark, version of the current day. You gotta love the cool joker-mobile. Thanks again. Can't wait to read the remaining issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Novick's art looks a lot like Andru... A real shame thi s was such a short run. As a Marvel fan, their Villan Team Up was the greatest series and my passion for comics died a little when they killed it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!