Monday, June 11, 2012

Weird Worlds Week! Groove's Faves: "Gods and Super-Gods!" by Wolfman and Gan

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Every wanna get away from it all? Just take off to a place unlike anywhere else you've ever been. Just plain ol' get lost? That's what we're gonna do with WEIRD WORLDS WEEK! We're traveling out of this world, under this world, and to world's we can only dream of. Are ya ready? Got everything packed? Then, c'mon!! Our first stop...The Bermuda Triangle!

Ya know, Ol' Groove loves, loves, LOVES Skull the Slayer. It's one of my all-time fave mags. Then why have I only done one single post on 'im? I dunno. Call me crazy, but I wanna do something about that right now! From Skull the Slayer #2 (August 1975) (featuring Action! Dinosaurs! Lost Lands! Cave Men! [and] Aliens!), here's creator/writer Marv Wolfman and artist Steve Gan with..."Gods and Super-Gods!"
Cover art by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer




















5 comments:

  1. Hey Groovster!
    I'm with you, I loved Skull the Slayer!Especially with covers like this, how could you not? This series should atleast ran for 50 issues! I was so disappointed when I read in the comic reader it was on the list of cancelled comics. Sigh! Give us more Skull the Slayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the old Skull the Slayer series myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with Gan's artwork, but just from the thumbnails, some panels look like Joe Kubert or Frank Thorne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvel tried hard to nab readers on the newsstands with this cover & blurb! Too bad Skull never found an audience; was it ahead of its time? Of course,the Slayer ended his "career" in the pages of Marvel 2 in 1...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gan's artwork on those first two issues were out of this world.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!