Friday, July 12, 2013

Making a Splash: The Kree/Skrull War

As true-blue Groove-ophiles know, The Kree/Skrull War in the pages of the Avengers 89-97 (March-December 1971) is what converted Young Groove from a comicbook dabbler to a full-fledged comicbook fiend. The works of Roy Thomas, Sal & John Buscema, Neal Adams, and company will forever hold the most special of places in my comicbook lovin' heart--as it does, I suspect, in the hearts of most Marvellites of my generation. Staring at these sensational splashes makes me misty-eyed and googly-eyed all at once! Join me, won't you...?










4 comments:

  1. Gotta LOVE the Vision in a turtleneck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drawing of Triton emerging from the water onto the pier with the forced perspective on his left hand is one of Neal Adams' most imitated (swiped, in less polite terms) pieces in comics. In fact, I'd say his Batman splash page in "The Joker's Five Way Revenge" is an extrapolation on that line of thought, right down the the forced perspective on...his left arm! Classic work; Neal's drawing in the early '70s was absolutely breathtaking.

    Chris A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly an epic series Groove! You and a whole generation of fans were captured by this riveting storyline!

    - Mike from Trinidad & Tobago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this run! I loved the 70's! But my Golden Age was 1968-71! Espically 70 & 71!Loved Clint in his crazy Goliath phase in those issues!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!