Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday Miscellanea: Thanx, Josh! and Jack Kirby's Greatest Hits: Captain America Round One

ITEM! Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Ol' Groove is proud and humbled (oxymoronic phrases, anyone?) to have received one'a those newer-fangled Kreativ Blogger awards from Jovial Josh Reynolds of It's Clobberin' Time! fame. According to the rules, I'm s'posed to thank Josh (Thanks, Josh!), copy the award logo and put it on my blog (done), link back to Josh (ditto), name seven things about myself other people might find interesting (I did this'un before, but I'll see what I can come up with inna minute...), nominate seven other Kreativ Bloggers (down below, baby), post links to the blogs I nominate (two birds, meet one stone), and leave a comment on each blog I've nominated so they know they've been nominated (as soon as I finish this post, promise!). Okey dokey, here we go:

7 Things About Ol' Groove You Might Find Interesting (round, what? 3? Really, I ain't that interesting, man...)
  1. As a kid, I wanted to be a comicbook artist, even going so far as to create my own comics (on typing paper). I actually still have 'em and have been threatening to scan 'em one'a these days...
  2. From the time I was at least 3, I bought comics now and then. Avengers #88 hooked me on comics for life and turned "now and then" into "every time I left the house."
  3. To answer the ages-old question, "Betty or Veronica?" Betty, no contest.
  4. I once won a No-Prize (Captain Marvel #36), only to have someone else win a No-Prize four months later (Captain Marvel #38) for proving that I was wrong. The bully. I was only 10 years old...
  5. I entered FOOM's "Create a Character" contest. They didn't print my entry ("Eagle Boy"), but they did print my name in FOOM #3.
  6. I am not Jonathan Gilbert. He's been my pal for over 20 years and I run his blogs for him, but we are two separate entities.
  7. I am going to be a grandfather in December! (Saved the best for last.)

My Kreativ Blogger nominees are (in no particular order):
That was hard--I could easily give out a couple dozen of these awards! Make sure you check out all of the Mind-Blowing Blogs in my sidebar, 'kay?

ITEM! Enuff about me! COMICS! Here's my opening shot at yet another sometimes-series, Jack Kirby's Greatest Hits! This feature is just what the title says--King Kirby drawing powerful pics of someone punching the living daylights outta someone else. No one, and I mean no one, could make a shot in the kisser (or gut or wherever) look more dynamic than Jolly Jack. This round we're looking at some of the greatest Captain America punch-outs from the tail-end of his run in Tales of Suspense. Dig it, baby!

5 comments:

  1. Much appreciated Groove! I'm afraid I have to pass, however, on your generous award. I used to get those things but when you get several a month the value of them dies down. And each time the "rules" for acceptance got more complicated and less fun so I removed all the ones I had on my blog and made a blanket decision to say thanks but no thanks in the future. Nothing personal whatsoever and you remain a favorite blogger of mine, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Gil Kane can give the King a run for his money when it comes to powerf ul punches...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Groove, my man! You're one of the good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nomination, Groove. I've now done the required wotsits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Crom! Awesome Groove, thanks! And in no particular order...yeah, right! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!