Saturday, May 8, 2010

Iron Man Weekend! Groove's Faves: "The Digital Devil!'

What it is, Groove-ophiles! We're spending the weekend celebrating the release of Iron Man 2--and yeah, you can say Ol' Groove's just a little bit excited about it! As of this writing (I stay ahead, don'tcha know!) I haven't seen it yet, but I have no doubt that Robert Downey, Jr. and company are gonna blow me away--again! (Loved that first Shellhead flick!) Anywho, since I'm in an iron-mood, I thought I'd share one of my fave Groovy Age Iron Man tales with ya. "The Digital Devil!" appeared in Iron Man #130 (October 1979). Co-plotted by the legendary masterminds behind the revered "Demon in a Bottle" storyline (IM 116-128) David Michelinie and Bob Layton, with Michelinie scripting and Layton, who usually inked the mag, doing full art, this titanic tale was a bit of a respite from the heavy goings on of the past several issues. I really dig the whimsical- -okay, even silly--mix of technology and mysticism this story is rooted in--a neat change of pace from the usual high-tech heroics. And haven't we all felt our computer was demon possessed at one time or another? Check it out, baby!


Be back tomorrow as Iron Man Weekend wraps up with a look at the Black Widow and Whiplash!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Groovy one!
    Not one of my favorite issues myself. But to me this was the best era of Ironman, the Dynamic Duo doing their magic. Pun intended! I love humor, the one I loved & remembered the best. Was the Ironman VS Hulk issue. Where Tony has to change into IM in the bad of some one's love machine/van on the LA freeway!

    Then when he finds out what all the commotion is. It's the Hulk playing with a little boy with his micronaut action figures! Great stuff, boy the years fly by huh? I had just turned 18 when this issue came out. We'll hope to go see Ironman II this weekend if possible. I hope they didn't do a Spider-Man III stunt by putting way too much in this movie wrecking the story. Not crazy about Mickey Rourke's costume though. Sorry I hate it when hollywood screws with the costumes too much. Or in this case total lack of one! We'll I'm hoping for the best! NEVER FEAR! IRON MIKE IS HERE! I AM IRON LOL!!

    Hey I can dream right. As a boy I wanted to be Spider-Man or Superman. By my teenage years, I wanted to be Ironman or Capt.A. Of course we can't really be superheroes in real life. Atleast, not yet, so I joined the Marines. The closest we can get to that dream on a certain level I guess. Semper FI, Sgt.Sky

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!