Monday, December 19, 2011

Groovy Christmases Past! "A Christmas Story or What the Dickens???" by Al Hartley

Merry Christmas, Groove-ophiles! 'Tis the season to be jolly, and 'tis also the season to look back at some of the far-out Yuletide comics that we grooved on back in the swingin' 70s! Ol' Groove can't think of many better ways to kick off our week-long Christmas celebration than with a classic featuring Archie and the gang paying homage to Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol--especially when Veronica is playing the part of Scrooge! From Christmas 1975, here's (I'm very sure) Al Hartley's  "A Christmas Story or What the Dickens???" found in Archie Giant Series #242 (aka Archie's Christmas Love-in). Ho, ho, hope you dig it!





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Groove. Interestingly, Hartley later re-did this story for one of the Spire Christian Comics Archie titles, but the second time around he made Miss Beasley the Scrooge character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this story. I'll have to look through my collection to see if I still have the comic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to dig out my Spire Archies. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!