Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Random Reads: "In the Crypts of Yamath!" by Fox, Mayerick, and Alcazar

Okay, Ol' Groove makes bonehead boo-boos from time to time, but when I find out, I will fess up! When we last visited Lin Carter's Thongor, I mentioned that Creatures on the Loose #26 was the final ish for regular series artist Val Mayerick. Well, the Keeper of the Cool was wrong! T'was CotL #27 (October 1973) in which Mr. Mayerick bid farewell to Thongor. "In the Crypts of Yamath!" was inked by Vincente Alcazar, who would take over the full art chores beginning with CotL #28 (for sure!). So ish 27 truly is the final for penciler Val and also writer Gardner Fox. Steve Gerber would finish out the series in partnership with Alcazar, and we'll see those in the not-too-distant future! Enjoy!
Cover art by Vincente Alcazar

















3 comments:

  1. Hey Groovy One
    Great post today! I'll shoot this off to Val to see if he'll post a comment here for you & everyone to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a fan of Thongor...first in Gardner Fox's novels, then in Creatures on the Loose. Years ago, I purchased the Thongor/COTL lot at my local comic shop, the clerk must of wondered why!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play this game with myself where I flip through this site and try to identify the artists before reading who they were. This one puzzled me because it seemed to change in the middle. After reading the copy and learning that there waa a handover,
    I think Alcazar must have taken over the pencils midway, or maybe Mayericks pencils got more cursory as it went on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!