Monday, January 30, 2017

Marvel-ous Monday: "Out of the Holocaust--a Hero!" by Thomas, Colan, and Colletta

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Today we're gonna check out Marvel Super-Heroes #14--er Captain Marvel #1! Yep, "Out of the Holocaust--a Hero!" by Roy Thomas, Gene Colan, and Vinnie Colletta was intended to be the lead feature in MSH #14, but instead, the good Kree captain was promoted to his own mag, so the story wound up there in February 1968. Way to go, Marv! This mag is especially special (!) to Ol' Groove since it's the very first comic I ever ordered from one of the back-issue sellers that advertised in Marvel Comics back in the Groovy Age. Wish I could say I remembered which one it was, though. Yep, I took 10 bucks I got for my birthday and sent away for the first two issues of CM (ish #1 was five bucks, ish #2 was $2.50, so I had change left even after postage). My folks thought I was nutso, but it was my money, and I was a happy 12 year old when the mailman delivered those babies! Hope you dig looking back at this classic!






















6 comments:

  1. Oh you know I adore this comic. It's the comic book most responsible for sending down this decades-long love/hate affair with comics. I bought it off the stands and never looked back. Marvel's "Space-Born Super-Hero" is one of my all-timers. Love this issue and thanks for featuring it!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying this one off the spinner-racks back in 1972 or '73, so it's nice to see it again. (Sometimes, comics lay in spinner-racks for years in Britain, other times, old comics turned up after lying in warehouses for years. That's why I could buy it brand-new, 4 or 5 years after it first came out.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groovy Dude! I have so, so many thoughts!

    1) Thanks for the GREEN Cpt Marvel! The best way to start the day! (Seriously.. wouldn't red/blue Marvel conflict with the coloring scheme? My friend Van Gogh thinks so!)

    2) I'm not expert in this but I know VC's inks are often negatively referred to. To me, and this issue though, what is not to like about his inks? Help Charlie out!

    3) Hard to imagine that in a few short years CM would change uniforms and become death personified? He sure was busy!

    4) Ahhh yes. Buying back orders from the guys advertising in comic books. I bought from Richard Alf several times. I would have bought from Rogofsky but was too young to figure out when/why to include a "S.A.S.E" with each order, LOL!

    Have a great day Groove and All!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain Marvel soared under Thomas/Colan for 4 issues but had an immediate plummet into second tier status after Drake and Heck took over with # 5. The good Captain floundered around for years until Thomas and Kane attempted a revival which was short lived. After Starlin's arrival our Man of the Kree achieved superstar status. I cherish the first 4 issues for their quality and storylines, especially 2 - 4 where our hero took on the Super Skrull and the Sub-Mariner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I didn't know that cover was by Gentleman Gene Colan (one of my favorites), I'd swear Carmine Infantino drew it (another fave). Still, what a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive got this comic in great condition, plus hundreds more. my grandfather owned a card, comic and sports store and recently passed... I have rooms full of old comics, wish I knew how to get rid of em to a place that would cherish them all

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!