Monday, September 25, 2017

Marvel-ous Monday: "What If the Avengers Had Fought the Kree-Skrull War Without Rick Jones?" by DeFalco, Kupperberg, and Patterson

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Let's kick this week off with one of Ol' Groove's favorite comics: What If? #20 (January 1980)! "What If the Avengers Had Fought the Kree-Skrull War Without Rick Jones?" might have been a mouthful of a title, but it was a fistful of far-out and fabulous four color comics! All of Groove City knows that t'was the Kree/Skrull War (Avengers 89-97) that solidified Young Groove's standing as a comicbook fiend, so this comic was a particular pleasure when it came out--and it still is! Author Tom DeFalco (future Marvel EiC in the early days of his Marvel career, here) gave the original story some very cool twists and turns (including letting most every 1971-era Marvel character join in the fun). The art by Alan Kupperberg and Bruce Patterson was very different from Neal Adams' style on Avengers 93-96 (though Kupperberg had worked for Adams), and much closer to Sal Buscema (who drew Avengers 89-91--and according to Kupperberg, the first three pages of What If #20!) captured the look and feel of the original epic and did a great job of showing us the war side of the K/S War. We got a virtual graphic novel in 35 pages, baby! Dig it!

Cover art by Al Milgrom and Joe Sinnott




























Yep! There's the infamous DD miscolored panel! Whodunnit?








4 comments:

  1. This is one of the better issues of What If? It was the first time I'd read anything about the Kree-Skrull war (I only got around to reading the original saga afterward), and I was absolutely fascinated by the whole thing. Yes, there's a lot of story packed in here. I thought the art was pretty darn solid, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What if..." was among my favorite titles, two of my particular faves were "What if Rick Jones has become the Hulk" and "What if Sgt. Fury had fought World War 2 in outer space".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to go buy this. The Kree-Skrull war around Avengers 90 was when I entered comics in 1971. The whole thing was an enigma to me esp. since the piss poor distribution left me hanging from Avengers issue 94 - 100 before I saw another issue!

    Rick Jones was also a frustrating enigma to a youngster, being passed around from Hulk to Captain America to Avengers to Cpt Mar-vell like a Hukkha pipe or something.

    I mean, that war, rick jones, and mar-vell just confused the heck out of me... BUT I want to get this What If if for no other reason than I may understand it all, finally, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider Avengers # 93 the greatest comic of all time. Roy Thomas, Neal Adams and Tom Palmer at their peak. When I mentioned that to Neal he said in his inimitable manner, "I tried to make it that way."

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!