Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Two-fer Tuesday: "Carson of Venus"/"Mutiny at Sea" by Wein and Kaluta

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! After watching (and digging) John Carter this weekend, Ol' Groove got re-bitten by the Edgar Rice Burroughs bug. I started re-reading my 1975 (with Neal Adams cover) copy of Tarzan and the Leopard Men (it's been a while!), and I also realized that tt's been waaaaaay too long since we thrilled to the Venusian exploits Carson Napier here on the Diversions! That, thought I, is easy to fix! Here's a double-play of dyn-o-mite sci-fi action and adventure from Len Wein and Mike Kaluta from Korak, Son of Tarzan #'s 50-51 (November 1972-January 1973)! (And if you missed the first two Carson of Venus posts, click here and here, frantic one!)











3 comments:

  1. As pretty as that is, you know I'm rolling on the floor laughing about the sales figure for Korak on the last page, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply put -- there are some of the most beautiful pages from 70s comics. Hail Kaluta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Groove. I loved Joe Kubert's work on Tarzan and I fell in love with Murphy Anderson's Dejah Thorus, but the unfinished "Pirates of Venus" adaptation was my favorite of DC's ERB stories. And yeah, those sales figures on the last page certainly bring on a longing for the days when comics attempted to reach (and often succeeding in reaching) a wide audience and not just 5000-10,000 fanboys who read "Previews" and visit the comics shops. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!