Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lo! There Shall Come...Endings! The Deaths of Adam Warlock and Thanos

Before you head out to your New Year's Eve parties, Groove-ophiles, check this out! You know Ol' Groove loves the Avengers, Captain Marvel, Warlock, and anything by Jim Starlin, right? And who doesn't have a soft spot for Spidey and the ever-lovin' blue eyed Thing? Well, mix 'em all together in a story that ties up Starlin's major storylines from both his Captain Marvel (issues 25-34) and Warlock (Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15) runs (succinctly summarized by Starlin in the Avengers Annual), and you've got some primo cosmic comix there, good buddy!

Thanos, perhaps Starlin's greatest creation, was originally inspired by Jack Kirby's Darkseid (of the New Gods fame). Because of Judo Jim's deft handling of Thanos' personality, ol' purple puss went on to become one of the greatest villains of the Marvel Universe. He was the linchpin that connected the Captain Marvel and Warlock series, and went on to become perhaps Marvel's major villain of the 1990s (remember all of those Infinity cross-overs?). Many people say there were two major Marvel characters created in the 1970s: Wolverine and the Punisher. I say there were three, 'cause Thanos ranks up there with Wolvie and Frank Castle as a major player in the M.U. (And yeah, Ghost Rider ranks fourth, but let's not get carried away...)

I wanted to send 2008 out with a bang, and it don't get any bangier than this, baby! From 1977, here are Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 by Starlin and Joe Rubenstein! Prepare to have your mind majorly blown!



See ya at midnight for the first post of 2009! Believe me, it's a party you won't wanna miss!

5 comments:

  1. This cosmic tail, blew my mind. I couldn't believe all the detail & cast of characters. I was disappointed they decided to kill off Adam, Pip, his girl friend & Thanos! GGGRRR!! But I guess, atleast he went out with a bang.

    I have to give Marvel credit. They had some great ways to bring back Warlock & cast. Even if I thought it was kinda lame. I'd rather seen some scientist or Galactus had brought him back to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MTU Annual #2 was one of my favorite reads back then. I'm lucky enough to have a very nice page of original art from that annual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was awesome! Both the writing and the art were great. Starlin did some clever things in Avengers Annual #7, such as a couple of pages where some of the panels mirrored each other. This was epic in scope, and a fitting way for Adam Warlock to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. God.. I always loved Starlin, but I HAVE to pick up this ish. Finally a story of epic proportions to match the fabulous art.

    I had Avengers Annual 7, but never got around to picking up this Two-In-One Annual. I was a huge fan of Starlin's rendition of ol' Benjy since Marvel Feature #11 and just picked up his Hulk-Thing Graphic Novel..

    Thanks for posting this..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. many may not know this, but this story was a time travel story that took place in real time for the viewer--Warlock goes forward 6 months in time in Avengers Annual 7. Marvel 2 in 1 is then published 6 months LATER, and Warlock appears from the past(where he left in the annual)!!!!

    I read this in real time in 1977, and it was perhaps the greatest comic production of that entire era--and that is saying a lot!!!!!! thank you Jim Starlin--and thank God Whedon GETS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!