Monday, August 30, 2010

Amazed by Aparo: "The Man Who Could See Yesterday!"


What it is, Groove-ophiles! Jim Aparo's time at DC was spent mostly chronicling the adventures of super-heroes like The Batman and Aquaman, or gothic heroes like The Phantom Stranger and Deadman. It would have been easy to forget that Jim was also a master of sci-fi storytelling. He had done plenty sci-fi early in his career at Charlton, but had little opportunity to stretch those artistic muscles after "being discovered" and going to DC in the late '60s. In 1979, buoyed by the popularity of Star Wars and the upcoming release of the first Star Trek movie, DC finally released an all-new sci-fi anthology, Time Warp. The final tale in that mag's premiere issue (July 1979) featured a stunningly illustrated tale written by Paul Levitz (who, by the way, has Ol' Groove buying--and digging-- Legion of Super-Heroes again!). Here is "The Man Who Could See Yesterday!"

5 comments:

  1. Gee, I thought I was the only one who liked Aparo's work! Glad to see others who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember picking this up when it came out and being excited to see Aparo do science fiction. I wasn't aware of his Charlton work at the time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Groovester!
    Gotta love Jim Aparo! I used to love Time Warp as well. Guess I'll give Paul a call & tell him about today's groovy story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Groove:

    Developing a love for Jim Aparo's work has been one of the best surprises I've had since starting Comics Bronze Age a last year. I always thought he was a decent artist, but I've really developed an appreciation of his work. He's threatening to crack my 10 ten list! I just picked up the last couple Time Warps I needed, but probably won't get around to reviewing that series until early next year. The story you posted today was a nice palette wetter!

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    ComicsBronzeAge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you dug this post, effendis! I'll see what I can do about digging up some of Aparo's sci-fi work at Charlton.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!