Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Funnies: Wally Wood's PLOPular Poetry

Here's a treasure-trove of forgotten treats for ya, Groove-ophiles! From issues 18-24 (August 1975-August 1976) of DC's "Magazine of Weird Humor" PLOP!, Wally Wood produced a humorous hum-dinger of a feature called "PLOPular Poetry". "PLOPular Poetry" ran a full-page in each issue and featured three poems (presented alphabetically) about the strange and sundry folks and fiends who invaded the imagination of one of comics' pioneers. Enjoy!




I wonder if  poems "v"-"z" were ever completed? Enquiring minds want to know!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I missed these at the time as I remember Plop! very well.

    But what hit me this time was the similarity to the much later Ricky Gervais' Flanimals. Wood was a genius - tormented just like all geniuses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there were as I can vaguely remember; U is for the Ugloid sitting in his den, picking his scabs and eating them.....I dunno, it's been a long time, but that's the one I was looking for.....
    WOOD Rocks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!