Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Boys from Derby: "The Frame" by Cuti and Staton

Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Have you seen this week's Dick Tracy strip? Our fave  Groovy Age Charlton artist Joe (E-Man) Staton has taken over the art chores on that long-running and legendary strip, and is it ever bee-yoo-tee-full! To celebrate Joe's continued greatness and good-fortune, Ol' Groove thought he'd share a titanic tale starring the diminutive detective Joe co-created with his fellow Boy from Derby, Nick Cuti. Yep, it's time for another solo-story featuring E-Man's pal Michael Mauser! From Vengeance Squad #5 (December 1975), here comes..."The Frame"!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to Staton on Dick Tracy -- one of my favorite adventure strips!

    One thing I've noticed in my daily visits to this blog is the diversity of 70s comics. Not just superheroes, but adventure heroes, pulp fiction characters, science fiction, horror anthologies, black and white magazines.... It all seemed more diverse and fertile then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder who owns the rights to all the great Charlton stuff. It would be so great to see Dark Horse or IDW or somebody put out THE E-MAN ARCHIVES! Or GHOST HAUNTS ARCHIVES, etc. I haven't read alot of it, but from what I have I know that Charlton deserves to be remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York and Joe comes from Tennessee but I guess we'll be forever known as the Boys from Derby. It was a nice little town. Even Woody (Wallace Wood) liked living there.

    Best,

    Nicola Cuti

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!