Monday, March 7, 2011

Ol' Groove's Request Line: "Man-Bat Madness" by Frank Robbins

What it is, Groove-ophiles! Several of you have asked for more Frank Robbins art, and many are curious about his art on Batman in particular. Well this is for all'a ya, just 'cause Ol' Groove loves ya! Robbins came to work at DC around 1968, and quickly became one of the more prominent Batman authors. With Detective Comics #416 (July 1971), Frank finally got to apply his artistic skills, not only to the Dark Knight, but to his freaky and far-out co-creation Man-Bat. Yeah, Ol' Groove's got it all right here for you...


Robbins also wrote and illustrated the Batman features in 'Tec #'s 420, 421, 426, and 429. They're well worth tracking down--that's no jive!

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely hated Frank Robbins' artwork when I first saw it all those years ago, until he did the Invaders with Roy Thomas, then I learned to appreciate it and now I enjoy seeing all the blogs paying tribute to him. Sorry it took so long for me to catch on, Frank.

    Darpy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Darpy -- I hated Robbins when I was a kid. Now I look at these page layouts and my mouth hangs open at the wonder of it all. Great stuff -- and loved his Shadow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Groovy One! I'll be picking up those issues of Detective as soon as I can. I feel like I oughta duck when I say this, but I don't care: Frank Robbins is very honestly on his way to becoming my very favorite comic artist. I honestly haven't been so affected by comic art since Kirby and Toth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More Frank Robbins please Mr Groove!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the Robbins artwork in this Batman issue is incredible. Yes, more Robbins, please!
    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was much the same as the other folks. Didn't like Robbins' art much as a kid. Came to really appreciate it later. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!Yes!Yes!
    Thank you,Mr Groove,for sharing!
    Cheers!
    /Mr Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colored by Neal Adams uncredited except in a letters page.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!