Monday, March 14, 2011

Bring on the Back-ups: "At the Sign of the Lion" by Duffy, Landgraf, and Perez

What it is, Groove-ophiles! Here's another Marvel-ous back-up from the Groovy Age. It's another of the back-ups commissioned during Archie Goodwin's tenure as Marvel's editor-in-chief, created to ease deadline problems. Eventually, scheduling must have improved, and a few of the back-ups either lingered unpublished--or wound up in some pretty strange places. This team-up between Hercules and Wolverine (!), f'rinstance popped up in the tabloid-sized pages of Marvel Treasury Edition #26 (Spring 1980) behind a ton of Incredible Hulk reprints. These days, a Herc/Wolvie team-up would be a headliner--back then, t'was just a filler. How things change, huh? It's a fun little hard-to-find diversion by Mary Jo Duffy, Ken Landgraf, and George Perez and its called "At the Sign of the Lion"!

3 comments:

  1. This is an odd pairing, but I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me, or does Logan look like Harvey Pekar in most of these panels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thou has great taste! I remember seeing this story eons ago & forgot about it. I've always been a big fan of Marvel's hercules. But I was always disappointed he was played so much as a buffoon. Hot head yes, but strength & power wise he should have always been equal to Thor & the Hulk.

    As tough as Wolverine is.I always though he was way over rated. Over used & it helped kill his original mysterious uniqueness. I knew Dave Cockrum & he felt Wolverine was way too dominate in the X-Men book after a while. Herb Trimpe who I also know also got pretty sick of Wolverine.

    So much so, I told Dave & Herb of my idea. For a new character even tougher then Wolverine & my story idea how he once nearly killed Wolverine. which they both loved & though was pretty cool. I had planned on having dave draw it, but he fell ill & we lost him shortly there after. Maybe one day I'll have Herb draw it. For Olympus!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!