Friday, August 1, 2014

The Grooviest Covers of All Time: Guardians of the Galaxy--Groovy Age Style!

Hey, hey, hey, Groov-ophiles! Ol' Groove has long been a fan of the original Guardians of the Galaxy and Star-Lord. Jim Starlin's creations, Drax the Destroyer and Gamora were a huge part of Captain Marvel, Warlock, and the Avengers' Groovy Age mythos. Always found Ronan, the Accuser kind of a cool villain, and the Collector was truly wonky. Now, I know the new Guardians of the Galaxy flick won't feature (much, at least) of the original team, but it is definitely going to pull most of Marvel's Cosmic Universe together (even the Nova Corps are involved, fer Odin's sake! So, yeah, Yers Trooly is headin' to the ol' movie-house tonight to check out all'a the above-mentioned cool characters (plus Rocket Racoon and Groot, to boot!). While we wait, here's a passel of cool covers featuring the original Guardians, plus many of the "new" Guardians in their Groovy Age guises. Are ya ready for this?

The original team featuring Yondu:


Star-Lord!
 Drax!

Gamora!

Groot!

Ronan!

 The Collector!
Oh, and while Rocket Raccoon never made a cover during the Groovy Age, he did make his debut then (in the back of Marvel Preview #7). Just so he doesn't feel left out, here's his debut page...

3 comments:

  1. Holy moly! I got every comic shown up there, except or the Marvel Preview stuff. Oh, and F.F. #65....I just have the reprint. (I'm not made of money!)
    Nice batch of comics up there. (I always loved that Hulk Annual. They let Ol' Greenskin cut loose in that one. He really plowed through Groot, Overlord of all the Timber in the Galaxy.)
    Looking forward to the film, but I miss the old crew.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Groovsters!
    As much as I always loved Groot in his original story & in the Hulk annual. As we'll as Rocket Racoon was OK to me. I was expecting to see the original with Starlord in tow. They could had had Rocket there for comic relief. I thought Charlie 27 was like the Ben Grimm of the team.Starlord more like Mr.Spock. I'll be seeing the new movie. But it looks way too goofy for my taste. Also to see the end tags. One I was already told about on the internet. I was hoping we were going to see Richard Rider get zapped at the end in the credits. To become Nova! Oh we'll WWAAAAUUGGHHH!! AAFFLLLEECCKK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ol' Groovy! Greetings from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! Huge fan here, I check your site everyday! Loved this post and would like to ask if you remember this Rocket Raccoon appearence: http://marvel.wikia.com/Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_271 I´ts was the first time a saw Rocket when I was a kid in the 80s, and loved this trippy and full of Beatles references tale. Mantlo and Sal rock! If you post this story it will bring me to tears! Thanks a lot for your work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!