Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Feast 2017! "Orvie's Rapid Rises" by Stanley and company

Welcome back, Groove-ophiles! Let's check out one of Young Groove's favorite non-super-hero heroes, O.G. Whiz! Created by the immortal John Stanley, O.G. seemed to some to be Gold Key's answer to Richie Rich, but to me (and no doubt many other kids), O.G. was way, way cooler. He ran a toy company for cryin' out loud! And he dressed a lot better than R.R., too. I suppose it was kind of a Superman/Batman thing for me. I always dug Batman more than Superman because (as many others have wisely said): you could become Batman but you had to be born Superman. Same with O.G. and Richie! You could become O.G., but you had to be born Rich! Here are quite possibly some of John Stanley's final comics--from O.G. Whiz #1 (November 1970), it's the origin of O.G. Whiz in "Orvie's Rapid Rises!"








See ya in 6 hours for the main course, Groove-ophiles!

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of this comic! Awesome! Now to go read it on a big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed a lot of good comics when I shunned Gold Keys on the stands during my first run at collecting comics. I'm glad to make their acquaintance here.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!