Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday Team-Up: Robin, Batgirl, and Man-Bat by Rozakis, Newton, Rogers, and Wiacek


Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Here's a forgotten fable sporting some outstanding art by two of Ol' Groove's fave Batman artists--Don Newton and Marshall Rogers. Bob Rozakis, the Answer Man, himself, was keeping the Batman Family (mostly consisting of Robin, Batgirl, and Man-Bat) truckin' along with some fun tales that reached back into the Silver Age and allowed him to strut his knowledge of Bat-lore. "The Man Who Melted Manhattan!" (Batman Family #13, June 1977) spotlighted Alfred Pennyworth by bringing back his "evil identity" from the early "New-Look Batman" days, The Outsider. And for his part, inker Bob Wiacek does a fine job of tying the whole extra-length story together, art-wise, as Newton and Rogers' styles are, to put it mildly, wildly different. And speaking of different styles, why not top it off with a Jim Aparo cover? Check it out!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this one. This was one of the first comics I ever bought at the store and one of the first times I ever saw Aparo's art. I still treasure this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had this issue, acquired as a back issue. IIRC, this was the last appearance of the Outsider, effectively killed off. Good story. Thanks for posting it, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the second comic I owned as a kid and read it until it fell apart. About fifteen years ago, I reacquired it and have since shared it with my kids. Awesome comic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I love the Batman Family. Some good 70's four color magic. Good art and fun storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this man bat character is fire from depths of hell. in my opinion he deserves long time running comic book series.yes i like big time this moody man bat. sorry for my bad english

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!