Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Salute: Jack Kirby's Losers in "Good-Bye Broadway...Hello Death!"

Ol' Groove would like to extend a heartfelt "Thank You" to all of our men and women in uniform, past and present. I can't think of anyone better to showcase on Veterans Day than Jack "King" Kirby, who put his own military experiences to good use as writer/artist/editor of a short, but sweet, stint on Our Fighting Forces starring the Losers. "Good-Bye Broadway...Hello Death!" is a personal fave from Our Fighting Forces #156 (March 1975).

(Don't sweat it, man! Black and White Wednesday will be back next week!)

3 comments:

  1. Great pick. I've always loved Kirby's Losers run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being disappointed when Jack Kirby took over the Losers from Archie Goodwin and John Severin. I was ten, what did I know?

    Looking back after thirty-five years, Kirby’s war stuff is pretty good. I especially like the splash panel. Thanks for posting this. I may have to actually buy the reprints.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!