Thursday, November 5, 2009

Random Reads: The Thing Meets Doc Savage

As I mentioned way back in the early days of DotGK, when Marvel lost the rights to Doc Savage, fandom lost the chance to see some very cool/interesting/strange team-ups. Like this one from Marvel Two-In-One #21 (August 1976) teaming the ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing with our favorite Man of Bronze. Much like Gerry Conway's plot for the Spider-Man/Doc Savage team-up in Giant-Size Spider-Man #3 (October 1974), writer Bill Mantlo came up with a plot that affects both the 1930s Doc and our present day hero, Bashful Benjy. What makes this team-up even better than the Spidey/Doc one is that Savage (along with Monk and Renny) actually meets and shares the adventure with the Thing (plus the Human Torch). Artists Ron Wilson and Pablo Marcos do a nice job on their end; I especially dig the look they gave the villain, Blacksun (or Black Sun. They spell it both ways for some reason). I do find it interesting that they went with the look Doc wore in his short-lived color series, rather than the look he was wearing in his black and white mag--which was going strong when this ish came out. But, Ol' Groove's mind just works that way. Ya can ignore me and g'head and read and enjoy "Black Sun Lives!" I won't mind. Honest.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I love this issue. Two of my favorite characters in one spot! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!