Monday, September 20, 2010

Face Front(ispieces)! Hulking Out in Marvel Super-Color

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! It's not easy being green, but it's certainly easy to find superbly stunning art featuring Marvel's Green Goliath! When the black and white Rampaging Hulk mag morphed into the Marvel Super-Color The Hulk! mag, the frankly fabulouso and far-out frontispieces kept on truckin', baby! To prove Ol' Groove ain't jivin', dig these dy-no-mite drawings of old Jade Jaws by Walt Simonson, John Romita Jr., Mike Zeck, Rudy Nebres, Steve Bissette, Gene Colan, Ernie Chan, Rich Buckler, and Brent Anderson!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Groovy One!
    Glad your back & running! We missed your daily articles! Man! I forgot how great these looked, I haven't seen these since the 70's. I hated it when they changed the stories from the early 60's theme. To present day & the kind of depowering of the Hulk. To tie it into the Hulk tv series.

    But don't get me wrong I still love these pieces! Their INCREDIBLE! Ok, I couldn't help myself! I forgot how beautiful some of these pin ups were! Now I gotta go buy issues#11-#27? I own the first 11 issues. Loved Val Mayerik's beautifully painted wrap around cover on #11. Keep up the great work! We'll I gotta run! I got a Back Issue deadline to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groove:

    Welcome back from IL; the Bronze Age Blogosphere isn't the same without ya! Thanks for sharing these cool frontispieces. There was a lot of great material buried in those old Hulk mags!

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    ComicsBronzeAge.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!