Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday Triple-Play: Forgotten Shockers from Archie's Super Hero Comics Digest Magazine #2


Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! We've rapped about the legendary Archie's Super Hero Comics Digest Magazine #2 (Summer 1979) before, but did'ja ever realize that there are some decidedly non-super hero tales in that mouthful-of-a-title mag? Mixed in with the Black Hood greatness and the far-out fun of the Mighty Comics and Archie-and-his-pals-as-superheroes is a trio of terror tales by Wally Wood, Tom Defalco, Chic Stone, and Jesse Santos. I am not jivin' ya, baby! Check 'em out!


2 comments:

  1. Archie Super-hero digest #2 is seriously a treasure - there's so much good stuff in there; I originally bought mine at a newstand in LA during a family vacation, and read it in the car on the drive back up to Oregon - I still remember how a few of these stories kind of freaked the 11 year-old me out back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two copies of this, and had to stop myself buying a third when i saw it cheap not long ago! I still have to work out where all the stories were originally published though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!