Friday, April 3, 2015

Making a Splash: Marvel Comics 40 Years Ago This Month

Check it out, Groove-ophiles! In March, 1975, Young Groove was about to move away from Loyall, Kentucky to Barbourville, Kentucky, which would be my home town to this very day. At the beginning of the month, I had no idea that I would never again get to visit my beloved Mack's super-store (and their duo of comicbook spinner racks), but by early April finding comics in Knox County had become a chore (t'would swiftly, and thankfully, change for the better). In other words, March, 1975 was the last time I would ever be able to go to one store and find all my comicbooks (and b&w mags and paperbacks) for at least a couple of years. The next couple of months would be a real struggle to track down my fave mags. Didn't know how good I had it when I was snatching these Marvel-ous mags from the racks...





























The eagle-eyed among you will notice that Ol' Groove's only included Marvel's color, non-reprint mags this go-round (Avengers was even a reprint that month!). We'll look more at the b&w mags in a future Black and White Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pages and all from my birthday month of June, no wonder I had such a great imagination as a kid. Thanks Groove... : )

    Shane G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So many memories here, Groove! I think the 8-year old me bought 9 of these issues at the time and then I went on to buy another 7 as back issues. Some beautiful artwork here from Starlin, Gulacy, Colan, Kane - the cream of Bronze Age Marvel. And "School's Out" by Gerber and Mooney - one of the most moving, intelligent and frightening comics of its day. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!