Sunday, March 29, 2009

We Interrupt Your Sunday Funnies With the Following Meme...

Joe Bloke, my ever-lovin' pally over at Grantbridge Street & other misadventures and His Name Is... has memed Ol' Groove. Being the good sport that I am, and since it was my main man, Joe, that sent it, I'm gonna give this a shot. Once. This time only. After this, Ol' Groove is retiring from the meme biz. Once is fun, but I do have a secret identity to protect y'know....

The Rules
1) Link to the person who tagged you.
2) Post the rules on your blog.
3) Write six random things about yourself.
4) Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5) Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

And awaaay we gooo!

1. When I was around 4 years old, I was playing Batman with my dad (he was the Joker) in the living room. I got the bright idea that the only way to knock him down was to get a good running-go and take a flying leap at him. I started in the hallway at the far end of the house, ran all the way back into the living room, jumped--and completely missed him, hitting the side of my head on the coffee table and slicing my earlobe, leading to my first trip to the hospital and first stitches.

2. Teen Groove wanted to be a disc jockey. I had a stack of records, a turntable, and a Mr. Microphone and would do hour-long "shows" that the kids in my neighborhood could tune in to. I became an expert at "cueing" records by watching Johnny Fever on WKRP in Cincinatti.

3. I never ate corn until I was in my 30s. And discovered that I love it.

4. I ran the scoreboard at my kids' basketball games for about 4 years. I didn't cheat even one time.

5. I fractured my elbow from a fall I took while roller skating to Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Knock Three Times". The elbow healed quickly and I still love to listen to TOaD.

6. I sing baritone in a gospel trio. I've been doing that for nearly 25 years.

Whew. That was actually easier than I thought. And kinda fun, too. Thanks, Mighty Joe!

Okay, the following Groove-ophiles consider yourselves "tagged". If you don't wanna play, no sweat, but if ya do, have fun!

Pat at Silver Age Comics

Chris at Pop Culture in the Pumpkin Patch

~P~ at Sanctum Sanctorum Comix

Andy Kuhn at Kuhnart

Uranium Willy at the Uranium Cafe

Mike Middleton at Aparofan's World of Comics

Oh, and don't forget: BLINDED ME WITH COMICS IS COMING THIS FRIDAY!

7 comments:

  1. you sing baritone in a gospel choir? see, now, that's just cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Tony O and Dawn! The very first concert I ever saw back in 1975!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And... I'm officially a "blogger":

    My entry is here:

    http://sanctumsanctorumcomix.blogspot.com/2009/03/look-inside-look-behind-meme-post.html

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Joe, it's a trio, but yeah. In fact, I'll be leaving here shortly to do the singing thing tonight!

    Booksteve, I'm a proud fan of Tony and the ladies--glad to meet another proud fan. Loved the songs, loved the show. And I'm jealous of ya 'cause I never got to see them live.

    Yep, Ptor, you're official! Loved that intro you created with the Doc Strange pages. Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were really cool. My first stitches were when I was a few years old. I tried to climb up a dresser. It started to fall over with me on it. It cut my chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, as a huge fan of old r&b and classic soul, I don't mind saying that I like Tony Orlando and Dawn.....Orlando actually had a LOT of soul ("blue eyed soul" I guess they call it, but he was hardly blue-eyed!) and really, any number of his songs could've passed for r&b. I remember hearing "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" on a family vacation road trip in the summer of '73.......it was all over the radio that year.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right, Chris! TOaD had soul, to be sure. While I'm a big fan of their "greatest hits" many of their best songs were the gems that helped fill out the albums. "Pick It Up", "Dance Rosie Dance", "When the Party's Over"...their covers of "Grandma's Hands", "You're All I Need to Get By", and "Up On the Roof"...great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!