Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grooviest Covers of All Time: Joe Kubert's Tarzan

Throughout the Golden and Silver Ages of comics, Tarzan had been as much a comicbook fixture as Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Early in the Groovy Age, 1972 to be exact, DC Comics acquired the rights to publish comics based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' greatest creation. Picking up the numbering from Gold Key's Tarzan (which had run all through the Silver Age), DC produced 52 issues of Tarzan (#s 207- 258, January 1972-November 1976). The majority of Tarzan's DC run was handled by writer/artist/editor supreme Joe Kubert, whose art was more than perfect for the adventures of Lord Greystoke. Ol' Groove'll be covering Mr. Kubert's Tarzan (plus all the various versions of ERB's creations in the hands of DC and Marvel) in future posts. But for now, let's just savor the magnificence of Joe Kubert's Tarzan!


8 comments:

  1. I used to own these comics long ago. I never really appreciated Kubert's fine and strong style until later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kubert Tarzan makes me very happy. Great covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are great covers. This is my first time visiting your blog. It's really cool. I'll definitely have to come back more often. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought it a great shame that Kubert's third ERB adaptation, Tarzan and the Lion Man, never made it to tabloid reprint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you dug the Kubert Kovers, men! There'll be more to come! I agree, Allan! I'd love to have Tarzan and the Lion Man in tabloid form. As great as Kubert's art looks in standard comicbook size, it is truly mind-boggling in the tabloid format!

    Welcome to the Diversions, Keith! I checked out your blogs--they blew me away! Dean Martin and friends, groovy 60s/70s chicks and flicks--beyond cool, man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There isn't enough space to extol the brilliance of Kubert's work. For a definitive lesson in comic storytelling pick up his "TEX" graphic novel. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid I thought Tarzan was having his left hand bitten off by the lion on the second Treasury Edition cover, and wondered how Kubert got that past the Comics Code.

    His run on Tarzan was magnificent, as was his work on Enemy Ace and Sgt. Rock (and just about everything else he put his hand to). One of the all-time greats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings Your Groovy-ness!! I really enjoy the blog! I think Tarzan #224 is my favorite cover from the series. I just picked up a copy a few days ago...Lovin' Tarzan and I'm trying to complete the DC run right now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!