Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Countdown to Halloween 2010! Haunting Art from the Marvel Bullpen


Greetings, Ghoul-ophiles! Way back in 2008, during Ol' Groove's first time participating in the Countdown to Halloween, I did a short piece on Marvel's digest prose mag, Haunt of Horror. I'm not gonna repeat what I said there 'cause you can read it here, but I've been dying to post some awesome art that I couldn't post back then ('cause I didn't have scans yet, natch). Instead of firing all of my guns at once, I thought I'd share the sensational spot illos from legends like Gene Colan, Frank Brunner, Barry (Windsor-) Smith, John Romita Sr., and the rest of the gang from HOH #1 (March 1973). Oh, and of course we're taking another look at that far-out and fearsome Gray Morrow cover. Dig it, baby!


Next year, Ol' Groove's gonna lay the art from HOH #2 on ya. How's that for something to look forward to?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Groovie Ghoulie One!
    I especially like the Brunner & Ploog drawings. I was & still am a Brunner & Ploog junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you TEASER you!
    I bought the next issue of this mag as a teen, which contained the second half of "Conjure Wife," which was an awesome story. I have always wished to find the previous issue, so I could read the whole thing... and here, when I saw your post, I thought "at last, scans of the story!" But alas, it was just images from it. A taste only.

    Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely stuff there, bloke. now, I'm gonna have to go digging through the boxes in the back just to find # 2 ( yeah, like I'm waiting 'til next year! ). . .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!