Friday, September 7, 2012

Sci-Friday: "Rico, Come Home!" by Jack Sparling

In the 1970s, ABC TV's Six-Million Dollar Man was hot, so natually, there'd have to be a spin-off. What we got was as good or perhaps even better than the original--the Bionic Woman. Lindsay Wagner played Jamie Sommers on TV, but it was Jack Sparling (and an as-yet unidentified author) who brought her to life in Charlton Comics' tie-in comic. Charlton's Bionic Woman mag ran five issues (July 1977-March 1978). Here's the lead story from the first ish, "Rico, Come Home!" Enjoy!












And just for fun, here's a rare Charlton editorial giving us the low-down on the TV-to-comic adaptation...



3 comments:

  1. Hey, Groove. I LOVED the Bionic Woman TV show as a kid and couldn't wait to get my hands on the comic. But, even then, this series left me cold. Still own, of course. It's a sickness :-)

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    ComicsBronzeAge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, Groovester! I found a copy of this book a few months ago, but like all of us have done before, I didn't pick it up. Now, I've been searching for it again with no luck..I enjoyed reading it, and hope to see the other 4 issues in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 35 years ago! I wasn't even born then. Curiously I've never read anything from Charlton Comics, but this Bionic Woman sure looks intriguing.

    By the way, I absolutely loved your post about Worms of the Earth, I plan on reviewing that story (just as I've reviewed all Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan issues) and I'll let you know when I do.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!