Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Just a quickie to brag on my own dad, 'cause I think he's the greatest! For example, I remember being sick one Saturday or Sunday back in May, 1971. Dad went to the drugstore to get me some medicine, and brought back the best medicine I ever got:

That's Batman #232--first appearance of Ra's Al Gul--by O'Neil and Adams, no less; Fantastic Four #112 with one of the classic Thing/Hulk battles by Stan Lee and John Buscema, and Sub-Mariner #40 teaming Subby with Spidey courtesy Roy Thomas/Gerry Conway and Gene Colan, by the way. Yeah, I got better pretty quickly! Thanks, Dad--and Happy Father's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great. Really. I was barely 9 when my dad bought me my first. A copy of Peter Parker, Spider-man. Great man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Son....I love you...
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories. My father was buying me comics during the same period. I remember he bought me Sub-Mariner #42 with the giant zombie guy on the cover.....and it had TWO covers mistakenly attached to the interior!!

    This year, I bought my dad a copy of Fawcett's "Soldier Comics," because dad was always a Fawcett fan! Happy Fathers Day, guys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and (now) tribute to your Dad, Groove. I envy you -- my dad always asked what the heck I was wasting my time on...

    God bless you and your family.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your loss, Groove. This post is a wonderful tribute,

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!