Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grooviest Covers of All Time: Joe Jusko's Marvels of the Groovy Age

Before he became a Savage Sword of Conan's cover czar in the 1980s and a trading card icon in the 1990s, Joe Jusko turned out a handful of pretty far-out covers for Marvel's line of magazine-sized comics. My mind was completely blown when I learned he was only in his late teens when he created these masterpieces. After overcoming a bout of really heavy jealousy, Teen Groove truly got off on Jusko's hyper-muscled, densely detailed, slick n shiny, yet realistic renderings. I think you'll dig 'em, too, Groove-ophiles!

2 comments:

  1. Those are great covers. I met him at a convention last spring and got to look at a preview copy of the new Art Of Joe Jusko book and it is fantastic. It's available now and is a must have for any fan of his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, Joe Jusko... somehow I always forget about him even though I love his work. I guess it's because he never had a signature work, unlike other meticulous artists like Brian Bolland (The Killing Joke) or Dave Stevens (Rocketeer). Nice post, hadn't seen these.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!