Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Black and White Wednesday: "The Swordsman of Sarn" by Fox, Katz, and Colletta

Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Here's another classic intended for the never-published Science Fiction Odyssey #1, rescued from File 13 by Horror-Mood Master Archaic Al Hewetson! This nearly-lost treasure is written by Golden Age great Gardner Fox with art by independent comics pioneer Jack Katz and the fastest brush in the land Vinnie Colletta and comes complete with cover art by the late, great Jeffrey Jones. From Skywald's Psycho #12 (cover-dated May 1973) prepare to meet..."The Swordsman of Sarn"!











4 comments:

  1. Wow! You know, not a day goes by where I don't visit with this site, and sometimes it just MAKES the day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Bob! Any chance we can see some Capt.Canuck, Alpha Flight/Sasquatch & Capt.Britain stories? I'm trying to figure out a character. He was in mail only fanzine/ comic. He wore a blue body suit with long white hair I believe & wore transparent googles. Anyone out there remember this character?

    I'd love to get his name, comic title, etc. He was drawn once on the cover or back. Of a issue of the old Comic Reader I believe in the late 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would've imagined these three legendary creators worked on something together. What a great combination! Colletta's rough-hewn reductive inking gives Katz's usually overworked drawings a real bounce. I'd love to see more work from this trio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I find more, I'll certainly share it, Tom. Anything for the dude who's kept kozmic komix alive and well for the 21st Century!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!