Thursday, April 26, 2012

Random Reads: "My Son...Is He Man or Beast?" by Dorfman, Swan, and Anderson

What it is, Groove-ophiles! To celebrate the 400th ish of Action Comics (March 1971), editor Murray Boltinoff gave us one of those bittersweet tales his tenure as Superman editor is so well known for. "My Son...Is He Man or Beast?" is a  tale filled with action (of course!) and pathos, solemnity and silliness, spooned out in equal doses by veteran writer Leo Dorfman. Perfect for kids like Young Groove, but the older guys, peeking over their copies of Incredible Hulk, scoffed at us for digging it. I didn't understand it at the time, but I soon would. Today, though, I long for the simple (and yes sometimes simplistic) tales of yore...and amazing art like that provided by true masters like Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson.
Cover by Neal Adams and Dick Giordano













1 comment:

  1. This was a pretty good read. As you said you have to be older to get it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!