Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Black and White Wednesday: Marvel-Con 1976

Dig it, Groove-ophiles! An extra-special B&W Wednesday for ya today! Not only do you get to see the fabled Mighty Marvel-Con 1976 booklet (to tide you over while you save up the seventy-five plus bucks it takes to buy a rare copy), complete with its Mike Nasser (now Michael Netzer) and Al Milgrom cover, its focus on Captain America and Jack Kirby, beginnings of John Buscema's art school, plus a new Spidey featurette by Tom Sciacca and Frank Giacoia and lots'a other cool stuff...


















































But wait, there's more! Here, direct from YouTube, are film clips from that self-same happening Ol' Groove wishes he could'a been at (t'was a looooooooooong way from Flat Lick, KY, baby)!





Thanks a gazillion, MisterX1964 and The Stan Lee Archive, University of Wyoming American Heritage Center!

Hey, as you can see, the autograph page in our promo-book is empty! If you were there at the Hotel Commodore in NYC back in April 23-25, 1976, sign in and tell us how it was!

9 comments:

  1. This is great stuff! I've never seen those videos and it was a treat to see Archie Goodwin interviewed. And seeing Big John Buscema draw was fantastic! Thanks.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dug the post, Rip! I love putting these "real event" pieces together. More work than the usual posts, but more satisfaction, too!

      Delete
  2. Hey Groove, I didn't realize you were in Flat Lick, I'm over by Somerset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just passing through your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago heading for Land Between the Lakes, Kevin! We've gotta grab lunch or something one'a these days. Mebbe meet part ways at Shiloh's in London? ;D Been to Somerset many times. Lovely place!

      Delete
    2. I love Shiloh's, I agree let's grab lunch someday!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Groove. And thanks heaps for the links to those videos. They were quite entertaining and thoroughly fascinating - what a great little time capsule of a certain time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They could have all been going to CBGBs and seeing the Ramones instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool to see something I never knew about from the seventies. Great post Groove, now I'll need to search out a copy for myself.

    Shane G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I wish I had been around comics fandom during this period. Instead I was ensconced in Kansas City during my high school and college years, enjoying things from a distance. I did live in NYC 1987 - 1992, so I got to meet a lot of the talent from my adolescence at various cons: Lee, Kirby, Rogers, Cockrum, Goodwin, Starlin, Steranko, Adams, Colan, Austin and Palmer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!