Friday, July 7, 2017

The Grooviest Covers of All Time: Wings of the Vulture!

Check it out, Groove-ophiles! The latest cinematic revamp of Spider-Man hits the theaters today, and the thing that really has Ol' Groove curious is Michael Keaton's Vulture. Now, in the late 80s/early 90s, I thought Keaton made a great Batman ("eh" Bruce Wayne, but a great Batman). To think the world has turned in such a way that that same actor is now playing a winged villain in a Spidey movie is, to moi, mind-boggling. But hey, my mind is an easy thing to boggle. Anywho, I've made it a habit to stay away from previews, trailers, discussions, reviews, etc. of upcoming movies, so I don't know if Keaton is playing the Adrian Toomes Vulture, the Blackie Drago Vulture, or some other version (or combination thereof), but I am intrigued. What does all'a that have to do with Groovy Age comics? Nothin'. But these have a lot to do with our favorite subject: Vulture-centric covers from Groovy Age era issues of Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Tales, and Spectacular Spider-Man! Art by Romita, Kane, Cockrum, Weiss, and a horde of inkers! Enjoy, baby!










7 comments:

  1. I just read that the Shocker shows up in the film! Yippee!
    My favorite Spider-man villain of all time. Hopefully sporting his shock-gauntlets.
    Good actor playing him, too. I've seen the guy's work. He was the most interesting guy on the second season of Fargo.
    Boy, there are some beautiful covers here. Many thanks, Groove!

    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Batman to Vulture by way of Birdman, which is IMHO one of the greatest superhero flicks ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, think you can do the same thing with Kraven the Hunter? He's my favorite spidey villain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome covers. FYI, the Vulture is Roger Stern's favorite Spider-Man villain. That's why he was the main baddie in Stern's first issue of ASM #224.

    BTW, I just saw "Spider-Man Homecoming" this morning and it is AWESOME! My new favorite Marvel film. Most fun I've had at the movies in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the new Spidey flick last night. It was a hoot! Loved it and can't wait to see it again!

      Delete
  5. I'm going to see Spider-man tomorrow. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Groove, your awesome. Thanks for all the work you do. I come to your blog every day. Huge fan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!