Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Black and White Wednesday: "The Last Sorcerer" by Archie Goodwin and Alex Nino

Last Wednesday, we looked at Jim Starlin's "Alex Nino phase", so I thought this Wednesday we'd focus on actual Alex Nino art. I dug up a real gem for ya this time, Groove-ophiles! It's from Creepy #112 (cover-dated October, 1979) and written by the late, great Archie Goodwin (who'd made his triumphant return to Warren after his gig as editor-in-chief at Marvel). "The Last Sorcerer" is pure Nino: the "wide screen" layouts (decades before Hitch and the boys made it "kewl"); the funky-cool cross-hatch work; the weirdest worlds this side of Steve Ditko; the magnificent detail; the masterful use of negative space and spotting blacks... Groove on this, baby--it's the real thing!

4 comments:

  1. thanks so much GA. nino is tha man! i have never seen this story before. it's a great one. the problem with alex nino is that his work is so scattered it's tough to find it all. i'll keep trying, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I...respect Nino as an artist. I...I really do. That said, however, I'm sorry to say that I've never warmed to his style and I found this to be virtually unreadble. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for posting these. I think I've got this issue in my CREEPY collection -- I'll have to dig it out of storage so I can ogle it in person again. Nino is a tremendous artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll find and post all I can for ya, Andy. My plan next week is to post the highlights from the Rampaging Hulk Starlin/Nino collaborarion. You will be here for that, won'tcha?

    Nino is an aquired taste, Booksteve! His layouts are pretty challenging. But man, do I love his linework and inking style!

    Glad you dug the post, Pop-Monkey! Like I told Andy, more Nino to come! (Captain Fear, anyone?)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!