Thursday, February 5, 2009

Marvel M-Ad-Ness: Savages of the Seventies

I've long admired Rob's far-out Coming Super-Attractions blog. It's a really cool piece of work that features the all-time best of DC Comics' ads. A few weeks ago, he talked of scaling back the time he spends working on CSA, but thankfully, it's still running plenty of goodies. I asked him if he was planning a blogging Marvel's ads, to which he responded "negatory there, good buddy" (well, that's my translation, anyway...), so I thought I'd run a few of those Marvel-ous space fillers here on the ol' Diversions blog from time to time.

You know Ol' Groove, so there's not going to be any rhyme or reason as to what I'll run when (sorry 'bout that, all you chronologists). Just whatever turns me on at the time I sit down to write.

Since I do love Marvel's adaptations of the heavy heroes of Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, I decided to share this sensational circular from Kull #27 (March, 1978) wit'cha! Actually, it's a pile of ads stacked on top of each other to fill a page. One featuring Marvel's versions of REH's Kull, Conan, and Red Sonja, the other for ERB's Tarzan and John Carter, Warlord of Mars. Dig that awesome art by Ernie Chan/Rudy Nebres, John Buscema, Frank Thorne, and Gil Kane/Dave Cockrum! Dy-no-mite!

Usually, when you saw a page like this in a Marvel mag, it meant no letters page for that issue for whatever reason. Armadillos were usually to blame...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!